In my house, there's a lot of love for all things Studio Ghibli ... and right now the kids are especially stuck on My Neighbor Totoro. Past favorites have been Howells Moving Castle and Ponyo, but really they are all pretty fun. And let's face it, I spend a lot more time watching kids movies than anything with adult content. So, for this challenge I chose to make my daughter Lily an outfit like the big sister "Satsuki."
I love the intro where all the bugs and creatures go walking across the screen. So for her main photograph
I had lily hold a little grasshopper. I didn't have any available sprites- so this sufficed.
Photographs for this outfit were tough- the colors from their bedroom walls were creating the oddest hues in my photographs- sheesh. Can't a mom catch a break? Thankfully, I was able to take some using my kids dress form that better shows the fabrics and details.
I was really particular about getting the fit right on the blouse.
I used the Norah Dress and Tunic by Welcome To The Mouse House and altered it a bit from an A-line to straighter side seams and shortened it to get the look I needed. Even though Satsuki is shown wearing a polo shirt with a more pointed collar, I kept the Norah collar as it, because I felt it was more practical.
I picked this yellow striped fabric up at the thrift shop extremely cheap. It had a ton of yardage, but about 1/3 of it was damaged by stains or writing (who writes on perfectly good fabric?!).
I've managed to make myself a Deer and Doe Datura blouse as well as this one for Lily.
Yikes with this lighting- it's driving me nuts just looking at it. :/ Let's move on to the better photos, ok?
The other fabric I chose for the skirt was a red corduroy that was gifted to me (i love fabric gifts). Satsuki is wearing a more orange-colored jumper, but I'm not a huge fan of orange and couldn't see Lily using one in the near future.
Executive decision was to go with red.
I had two tiny 10 inch or so scraps when I was finished making this jumper, so THANK GOODNESS I was careful with measurements. I used the Molly Schoolgirl Skirt pattern, and it was exactly the look I needed, so, alterations weren't necessary.
Well, except that little extra added to the straps - my tall and lanky little lady needed extra long straps. I wanted to wait to measure her before cutting but:
1. She was napping and every mommy knows you DO NOT wake a napping child unless the house catches fire.
2. I didn't have any longer strip of fabric than what the pattern called for.
Like I said, I was cutting it CLOSE with yardage and I just had to do as Tim Gunn would: "Make it work." (oh Tim, your wisdom is so helpful)
All in all, I got a super cute outfit for my girl without purchasing a single thing.
Since we're getting ready to renovate our new-to-us 1870's farm house, "make it work" will be the theme for MANY of my garments in the months to come. I feel some upcycles brewing as well. Budget, people, budget!
I hope all you sew-a-longers are having as much fun with this season as I am! I'm watching those polls bounce all over the place and feel like I'm on the edge of my seat to see what the results will be. Oh, and congrats to the sew-a-long winner from last week- that velvet blazer was impressive!
See you all next week with the upcycled look.
Fabric - Yellow striped mystery fabric from the thrift store
Pattern - The Norah Dress & Tunic by Welcome To The Mouse House
Fabric - Red Corduroy gifted from family
Pattern - The Molly Schoolgirl Skirt by Peekaboo Pattern Shop