Saturday, January 25, 2014

Archer's Upcycled Long Sleeve Tee



Remember when I said I had some upcycles in mind? I didn't realize how quickly it would be, but here we are! I realized recently that Archer is outgrowing his 18 month shirts. He is especially in need of warm long sleeves. I'm super happy that my good friends know my love of sewing and frequently drop off piles of old clothing at my house. Not too long ago, a male friend of mine gifted me a pile of extremely nice mens shirts that had been shrunk in the wash. I have since used them to make quite a few items, but there were still a few left. 






No, I'm not a huge fan of Black Sabbath or Ozzy Osbourne - though I did enjoy the Osbourne show for a while many moons ago. I also don't have anything against the band/Ozzy, so Archer got some Ozzy love and now has a simple color blocked shirt. 



I couldn't get two sleeves from the shirt, so the right arm is full black. I like the blocked effect it has along with the cut off photo of Ozzy. 





I used all the original hems and boy did this come together quickly. I'm a huge fan of upcycling and how you can get some really great finishes without owning an overlock machine. I would still be THRILLED to own one, but good things are worth the wait. 


On a side note, I finally figured out how to change the stitch length on my old arse machine to get a good stretch for topstitching knits. I like the look of the double needle better, but my machine doesn't tend to do a whole neckline/hem without messing up and causing me to either pick the whole thing or tie it off and deal with the unsightly finish. I'm pretty stinking happy this zig zag option is in my life. I had become almost superstitious as I'd sew with my double needle thinking that my machine "liked" certain things - not going too fast, keeping a steady pace, not stopping to adjust.... I'd do all these things while saying a sewing prayer that it wouldn't start skipping stitches or lock up. 

I still wouldn't trade this old machine for a fancy new one - it seems to fit me well, flaws and all. 
Do you tend to gravitate towards newer machines or have a soft spot for the older styles? 


Pattern - Classic Ringer Tee
Fabric - Upcycled Tee

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!