Thursday, May 29, 2014

DIY Best Bottom Diaper Covers with FREE Pattern



We really like our BB diapers. My husband did extensive research before we made the large cloth diaper purchase for our son two years ago. They have held up remarkably well with just a few of the inserts getting holes - and the full set had some 75 inserts or so.




Baby Skye can use the newborn inserts while Archer (who's 2) uses the largest toddler inserts, but all of the inserts use the same outer shell because it snaps from a smaller to larger size. That meant we would need more shells for two children - and at approx. $17 each, we were looking at a decent amount of money.  



Instead, I recreated a shell that could be used with the inserts. Mine has the same main elements, though my diaper is slightly larger and has wider side gussets.   It was such a slow process of making the shell pattern. I started by making the general shape, measuring and transferring elastic and snap markings, and creating a pattern piece for the gussets.  I had to take into account the elastic placing/stretch, how to create the gussets, and making sure that the snaps were well labeled to account for which layer(s) and direction (facing in/facing out) to place them. I was nervous as this was my first time sewing a cloth diaper. I picked up techniques from free pattern instructions for other diaper styles, but there wasn't anything available that was exactly what I needed. (linked at bottom) So, I decided that I would make my DIY diaper cover available for FREE.

My DIY diaper cover

Purchased Diaper Cover from Best Bottom


The pictured DIY cover has a random mix of snap colors since it was the last of three I created and they each have 30 snaps. I purchased a Kam snap fastener and a 100 ct set of snaps - I should have either ordered 1-2 colors of snaps or purchased a larger set because not all the colors in the set matched the shell fabric.  Now that I've made three of these from 1 yard of fabric, I'll be ready to order another yard and continue. I might have been able to make 4 with a yard, but with trial and error you have mistakes and I cut 1 layer out that had an error and had to scrap it. 

Now, are you ready to make your own? Great! It's super simple and I've done the most difficult part for you by creating a pattern for the cover. So, first you need your pattern 
Print, tape, and cut it out. 

update: 7/14/15
The tutorial link was not working- I have moved it to it's own post found HERE


I hope that you have found this pattern&tutorial useful. I know that our family is always looking to save money and creating these shells (as well as cloth diapering) has certainly helped us. If you enjoy this free pattern, please take a moment and share with other cloth diapering mommies who can use it!



Here is a list of the resources I found most helpful:


-I found this extremely useful when learning cloth diaper making techniques. If I didn't already have the newborn inserts, I likely would have used her pattern instead of creating my own. It's very thorough. 


I really liked this resource for it's large and clear photos. I chose to zig zag the top of my elastic rather than just securing the ends and topstitching once turned (when making my diaper cover you do not turn). Also, it worked better for my version since it had the leg gussets and their version did not.







23 comments:

  1. I just tried to comment and I think it got deleted, so my apologies if you see this twice...What kind of elastic did you use, and how long did it take to make this? (Once you got the pattern down, that is!) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have created 3 of these and can now make them in 30 minutes of uninterrupted sewing time. Also I use regular 1/4 in. elastic purchased online from Joann's. I'll be updating the post with a downloadable tutorial in the next week or so that should help everyone. :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! I'm really looking forward to this tutorial - thank you in advance! :)

      Delete
  2. I would love to see a pic tutorial for those of us who are new to sewing. I am glad to see that you are really liking the BB diapers..that is what I will be using on my little one come October :) Thanks for the pattern and directions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats! I can't wait to see the cute diapers everyone makes!

      Delete
  3. Do you have a tutorial for making the inserts that snap inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't, but if you measure the distance between the snaps you can create inserts that will fit in whatever fabric you like - bamboo, fleece, cotton, etc. The ones that came with my set when I purchased it were serged around the edge with snaps on one side. Very very simple. Also, remember that as you snap the shell to make it smaller, it will change the measurement between the snaps- making them slightly shorter the smaller you make the shell. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. I am unable to print the tutorial. Is there a way you can fix this? Thank you so much! Cant wait to get started making my own diapers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the only way to print the tutorial would be to copy the entire post (including photos) and paste it into your word/pages application. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Doris! Yes they sure do. When using this type of diaper you have an insert (the absorbant layer) that is placed inside the shell (which is what you see above). It can be placed in or if you have inserts with snaps to match the shell, then they snap into the shell to keep them from sliding or shifting during the change or when the child is playing. Then the whole diaper (shell + insert) is placed onto the baby as a full diaper. This way, if the child urinates you can pull out the insert and continue using the shell until it's dirty. I've really liked this option as it saves me from washing as much and the shell has two layers of PUL (polyurethane laminate) that stop moisture from reaching the child's clothing. The double layer really makes these diapers efficient and long lasting. I am STILL using the diapers I made for this tutorial nearly 2 years later!

      Delete
  6. Hi, thank you for this pattern! but i have a question, why you cut 2 pul diaper pattern? why not only one? sorry Im new with this sewing diapers.
    i saw others covers with only one leayer of pul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can adapt the pattern to be one layer, but two makes a HUGE difference. Often times the outside layer of PUL gets broken down (due to urine and washing) but the second layer that's protected inside really keeps them nice and water resistent.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Hi Mary!
      The gusset pattern piece is on page 5 of the pattern and is cut from the PUL. I use a rotary blade when cutting all my pieces because I find it to be quick and easy, though it does take a little getting use to. I hope that answers your question, but if not please clarify and I'll try to help as best as I can!

      Delete
  8. Do you overlap any of the patternpieces? I've printed it out but it's not lining up without overlapping the pieces. I just want to make sure it's perfect! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I am new to sewing Cloth Diapers and covers, I appreciate your time to post a pattern and tutorial I was given a diaper from my daughter to sew more for my grandson and it really looks similar to the one you have with dinosaurs, however in sort of confused when I printed the pattern, does it get placed on fold, and one was square and another rounded, and what piece goes to what when taping, and what percent to print, is there a guide to know if scale is correct,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just printed the pattern for myself and noticed that too! the paper isn't big enough to include both rounded sides of the back of the diaper shell, so on the last page with the gusset, there is the little side rounded piece there to add to that "square side" you called it. Hope it's okay that I commented back for the maker of this! And I hope I'm right because I am going to make this soon :D So excited!
      Jessica

      Delete
  10. Could someone PLEASE help me. I don't understand this pattern. The one top side seems off. I REALLY REALLY want to make this diaper cover but I'm skeptical now. I don't know what to do about that piece. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Legging

    ReplyDelete
  12. Skirts remain always in trend. Since years it is in fashion and there are no chances of its fading. Interesting thing is women`s skirts always keep evolving; there is no end to their evolution elbise

    ReplyDelete
  13. Things that we live for or on the other hand, refuse to give up. Even indecision is a choice - we can choose not to engage, to get involved, to be interested. panda bracelet

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made this nappy cover and it was a great pattern to follow, with good instructions. But it only fitted my daughter for until she was about 4 months old because it was too tight on her legs (it was ok on her waist). Maybe I pulled the elastic gussett too tight when I was sewing the elastic in? So I'd recommend people don't pull the elastic tight when sewing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!