We really like our BB diapers. My husband did extensive research before we made the large cloth diaper purchase for our son two years ago. They have held up remarkably well with just a few of the inserts getting holes - and the full set had some 75 inserts or so.
Baby Skye can use the newborn inserts while Archer (who's 2) uses the largest toddler inserts, but all of the inserts use the same outer shell because it snaps from a smaller to larger size. That meant we would need more shells for two children - and at approx. $17 each, we were looking at a decent amount of money.
Instead, I recreated a shell that could be used with the inserts. Mine has the same main elements, though my diaper is slightly larger and has wider side gussets. It was such a slow process of making the shell pattern. I started by making the general shape, measuring and transferring elastic and snap markings, and creating a pattern piece for the gussets. I had to take into account the elastic placing/stretch, how to create the gussets, and making sure that the snaps were well labeled to account for which layer(s) and direction (facing in/facing out) to place them. I was nervous as this was my first time sewing a cloth diaper. I picked up techniques from free pattern instructions for other diaper styles, but there wasn't anything available that was exactly what I needed. (linked at bottom) So, I decided that I would make my DIY diaper cover available for FREE.
|My DIY diaper cover|
|Purchased Diaper Cover from Best Bottom|
The pictured DIY cover has a random mix of snap colors since it was the last of three I created and they each have 30 snaps. I purchased a Kam snap fastener and a 100 ct set of snaps - I should have either ordered 1-2 colors of snaps or purchased a larger set because not all the colors in the set matched the shell fabric. Now that I've made three of these from 1 yard of fabric, I'll be ready to order another yard and continue. I might have been able to make 4 with a yard, but with trial and error you have mistakes and I cut 1 layer out that had an error and had to scrap it.
Now, are you ready to make your own? Great! It's super simple and I've done the most difficult part for you by creating a pattern for the cover. So, first you need your pattern
Print, tape, and cut it out.
The tutorial link was not working- I have moved it to it's own post found HERE
I hope that you have found this pattern&tutorial useful. I know that our family is always looking to save money and creating these shells (as well as cloth diapering) has certainly helped us. If you enjoy this free pattern, please take a moment and share with other cloth diapering mommies who can use it!
Here is a list of the resources I found most helpful:
-I found this extremely useful when learning cloth diaper making techniques. If I didn't already have the newborn inserts, I likely would have used her pattern instead of creating my own. It's very thorough.
I really liked this resource for it's large and clear photos. I chose to zig zag the top of my elastic rather than just securing the ends and topstitching once turned (when making my diaper cover you do not turn). Also, it worked better for my version since it had the leg gussets and their version did not.