Monday, January 7, 2013

Week 1: Project Run [and] Play : Pattern Remix

Happy Project Run& Play everyone! 

I am so excited to be on my game this season & ready to post about my remix on THE FIRST DAY rather than two weeks (*or never) after it's over. booo for procrastination& perfectionism. 
I promise I don't share them because I don't feel like they turned out great. 

Like last season, I was STOKED to do the white sheet challenge. I almost completed an outfit, a pair of comfy fully lined drawstring pants (dyed burnt orange) and jacket that buttoned up the front. First, my pants didn't have enough rise on the waist & were kind of the wedgie-type. Poor girl. Then the jacket dyed a dull brown rather than the fall leaf brown I was shooting for. & from there I completely lost motivation and never even took photos.
The pants sit in her drawer unused& jacket in the closet. slightly used. 



This season I vowed to be different. 

I went big. 
I went bold. 
I even went detailed. 


... and guess what? I really like what I made. 



First, I decided against the sash.  Instead I thought I'd use piping, since I  have been wanting to try it but hadn't gotten all the materials or motivation yet. 



It turned out very nice. I like the simple pop of the yellow strip to break up the bodice and skirt. 




I had also never sewn sequins onto an outfit before. I looked at a few tutorials on how to do this, but probably would choose a different one now since they are able to flip over& it makes the image not as clean... it bothers me & I keep trying to flip them all back over. 



Finally, the back. I used the same back as the original pattern. Also loving the yellow pop here with a great symmetrical look.  I'm not sure where I got these metal buttons, but they seemed a bit nautical to me... and sturdy, which is helpful with four year olds. 

Well, that's about it!

So glad I was able to finish her dress on time. Wishing everyone good sewing juju for this pr&p sew along season. 



ADDED****


I'm throwing in another close up of the detailed anchor. I felt like after I wrote this, that it wasn't really visible in the main photo& it needed another look. :) 




whew, took me fifteen minutes to smooth all those little sequins back into the original position.

Also wanted to note that this is my first time creating my own image to embroider. I hand drew it& traced it on. 
Which was much easier than I had expected. 


27 comments:

  1. So cute! Love the piping and sequins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the piping and the buttons! Very nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out SO cute. I would not have had the patience for the sequins! I have every intention of joining in this season, we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still getting the hang of them but a good first round. <3

      Delete
  4. Thanks guys! So glad I was able to share it with everyone, & i'm SO into the nautical theme right now. Might continue it for look #2 in a something other than a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this look - and WOW on the sequins... I've been eyeing up some sequin ideas, but don't want to end up with a garment I can't wash or sequins falling off and then getting consumed (I swear the odder the object, the more she wants to put it in her mouth!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos were taken after the dress was washed, & hung to dry. I know that this will need to be the case EVERY time I wash it & a little bit of the red color rubbed off even after being careful. It could have also been that I was using cheap sequins ! :)

      Delete
  6. My favorite so far! I love the sequins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so so so good! I have never tried ANYTHING like that with sequins! This is definitely something I would buy if I saw it in the shops!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very cute! It looks so sweet on her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the attention to detail in this dress. I just sewed sequins for the first time on a Christmas present this year and was also frustrated with how they wouldn't stay put. I'd be interested in other techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is SO cute! love the yellow piping; that was a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a darling design with the anchor, metal buttons, and navy blue and white!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in. love.......with your version of this dress. Awesome work and your color and fabric selection is total perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all so much for your kind words. I didn't expect such an amazing response to it! Thank you for keeping me motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so impressed with all the hand sewing with the sequins ~ that must have taken a long time !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure did! I would say around 2.5 hours total??

      Delete
  15. I LOVE your version of the remix!! I always love anything nautical, but the yellow pops of color and those sequins really take yours over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE that anchor detail! those hours were worth it, it is lovely. Anything nautical is so classic... perfect remix!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it!!! You did a great job with all the details! I started following your blog - and nominated you for the Liebster award on mine
    http://sewingmamaraeanna.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the way you have sewed the sequins works for this outfit. I know you said you want to keep turning them back over but because they are loose it gives them a more 3D feel almost like waves :) It's a great dress!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are suckers for 'nautical' looks....and piping....ooooh, nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow I love this all. The color scheme, the nautical style. I love the piping.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We have nominated you for the Liebster Award, go here for the details:
    http://shaffer-sisters.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!