Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Betty Skirt by The Shaffer Sisters


I'm excited to be able to share a pattern I tested for the super sweet Shaffer Sisters today. These ladies have always been so kind to me as I've guest posted for them during their "Make For Mom" series. They've also shared many kind words and plenty of likes through our Instagram feeds and I happily got the chance to work with them again on their very first pattern  - The Betty Skirt. 
Congratulations ladies, and thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this journey!



For my Betty Skirt, I chose to use this print that has a really interesting pattern on it. It's muted color scheme and floral hints make me happy- plus I love the peekaboo effect that it gives with the pleats. 
I was asked to test the large pleats, but the pattern also offers a small 16 pleat version, a gathered version, AND a gathered version that includes a placket. Options galore!


Between you and me, I've never made a pleated skirt before and wondered how difficult it would be to iron each one correctly. The answer? Not that hard. The first panel (there are two) was a little trial and error. I learned that after pressing a pleat that I should turn it over and double check that it was the correct width. That way, I didn't get to the end and find I had made one slightly too large leaving the last one slightly smaller than the rest. After I got it down, the second panel pleated in minutes!



They suggest in the tutorial that you sew each pleat down 2 inches to keep them in place and I absolutely agree. It kept my skirt looking clean and made it much easier to sew onto the waistband. 


In case your wondering, the material I used was a thicker bottom-weight type of cotton that I received from a family member. There are times when I get a new pattern and I look through my fabric bins finding the perfect fabric practically jumps out at me. This was one of those times, and I am very pleased at the results.


If you'd like to purchase this pattern visit

CRAFTSY

where it will be on sale this weekend for $5 (until 11:59 AM MST Sunday, February 24).
The price will then be $9.

You can also request a custom Betty Skirt created by me from my Etsy Shop:

Mae & Co. 


2 comments:

  1. I really like the fabric you chose! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping my daughter won't turn her nose up at it since it's not pink, purple, or rainbow. haha! I may just have to make another for her.

      Delete

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!