Monday, April 15, 2013

Formal Attire // Birthday Dress

Week 4 of Project Run and Play is in fully swing & I am ready to go! 

I've been working on Lily's birthday outfit a lot lately. Her 5th birthday party is an Alice in Wonderland Tea party where she will be Alice (of course!). 




I wanted to make her a perfect Alice dress. 
 On a side not we also have a lot of other formal events coming up... 
my mother is graduating from college (yay! go mom!)
& she has her very first piano recital early May. 

I don't want to make a dress for each event & so I found a fun way to take the base dress from her Alice in Wonderland costume& make it an everyday wonderland dress. 


So, you can see the base blue dress. It's rocking some big bubble sleeves& a peter pan collar. I drafted like mad to create this dress & the apron is still in the making (it's Ah-DORABLE).  



To style up a bit, I found an old hand painted broach given to me from my big sister. What a gem, I had no clue what I would do with it when she gave it to me, but here it ROCKS



I also found a large light blue ribbon in my stash and added that to the waist. All she needs is a pair of flats. 

linky parties:





9 comments:

  1. That pinny looks great!!! I can hardly wait until my girls are old enough to read Alice in wonderland with me!
    Ps.did you ever play the text computer game of it in the 80's? Spent hours on that game, could get to the end but never back home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I'm reading her the original book each night... it's amazing because this is my first time reading it too. I never knew there was a computer game! Why was i sheltered from this??

      Mae

      Delete
  2. Love the deep sky blue of the dress and that gorgeous broach. It is perfect at the collar of this dress. Very eye-catching and vintage looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Lily certainly called it a success, which at times is a feat in itself! (4year olds can be mighty picky).



      Mae

      Delete
  3. Very fairy tale -like and carefully made! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was a bit disappointed that Joann's didn't have a blue that screamed ALICE! ... this was a compromise because it was still very beautiful. I'm glad someone else agrees :)


      Mae

      Delete
  4. This dress is perfection and the hand painted broach is like the icing on the cake!
    LOVE IT!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks adorable & amazing !!! So proud of you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks adorable & amazing !!! So proud of you sis!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!