Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Astro Boy - Project Run & Play 80's Cartoon Sew-a-long

 Another season of Project Run & Play is upon us. 
It's a fun competition full of themes and drama. Yes, only one can be the winner- but for the rest of us, there's the sew-a-long. I've been participating for many seasons now and truly enjoy looking at each seamstresses work, gaining both inspiration and motivation to push my limitations further and further. 

So, week 1. The theme is one near and dear to our hearts... anyone who spent their Saturday morning or after school hours plastered intently to a television screen knows exactly what I'm talking about- 80's cartoons yo. 




My outfit isn't inspired by a show I watched in my youth- though there was certianly an 80's version of it. No, I didn't discover the awesomeness until I was much older. Regardless, here it is. The Astro Boy outfit for my little nugget of cuteness, baby Skye. 

I started with a sweatshirt given to me by my big sis nearly a decade ago, which never really fit any human body. The dang thing was so short and fat- not sure what they're trying to say about us Americans. 


I kept it because the graphics on it were so fun, and I felt that one day it would fall into the right hands... well that day has come! I've managed to upcycle it into a kickass outfit. I started by taking the sleeves and creating a pair of footed leggings for her. 


Next, my amazing husband pulled the main holographic picture off of the front for me to applique onto the butt. It depicts his inner workings and is my absolute favorite part of the outfit (of course). 


Because I couldn't use the front panels to create a full sweatshirt front, I appliqued the wording onto another piece from the back and used that to make the sweatshirt front. 


The back rocks a sweet lighting bolt in red. Another part of this sweatshirt I loved. 


With enough to create an entire outfit- this girls well beyond her understanding of cool cartoons. 


Someday she'll realize her mommy was pretty epic in upcycling this sweatshirt for her, but for today- she just looks cute. 

Happy Project Run & Play guys, can't wait to see what everyone has made! 

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! Being unable to let certain items go has proven to be somewhat beneficial!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. THank you! I will say it was a bit of a head scratcher trying to decide how to best use each panel- but alls well that ends well, right?!

      Delete
  3. This so cute!!! and a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Of course there are a few things I *wish* i would have done differently, but that seems to be how it goes with creating. You tend to learn a lot along the way!

      Delete
  4. Very creative repurposing of that sweatshirt and she looks pretty cozy too.
    Deborah @ Sew Much To Give

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so so cozy, i just hope it fits into the winter months- babies grow way too quickly!

      Delete
  5. Hoarders WIN! Love this so much! And I always love seeing her wittle face. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so smiley too- i wish the photographs would better represent her bubbly and cute personality. She sees the huge black camera and the smiles go bye-bye. :(

      Delete
  6. LOVE this! I wish I had thought of it. My 9 year old refused to use his real name for a whole year one year. Seriously, he wrote Astroboy at the top of all of his school work, where the name goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH. MY. GOODNESS!! That's hilarious! I feel like I would love your son. Is that weird to say? Well, it's happening, because I love awesome quirky kiddos. I'm probably going to be laughing about that for the next few days.

      Delete
  7. awww so cute!! what a suggly outfit... way to hold onto that hold sweatshirt and reuse it in an awesome way!!! I'm currently hosting a sewing series called Sew Many Books. there is a sew a long {with prizes!} If you have sewed anything inspired by a book in 2014 I'd love to have you join! Hop over to Nap-Time Creations and check out the series! Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds fun!! Thanks for inviting me- i'll definitely be over there and can hopefully participate as well! PS- yay books!

      Delete
  8. SOOOOOOOOOOOO adorable!! I love the little footed pants. This is too much Mae :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ajaire!! the weather is getting so chilly here, they'll get used for sure!!

      Delete

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!