Monday, December 5, 2011

Photo Frame Christmas Gifts

6a00d83495455153ef0133eda32469970b320wi.jpg
Custom Frames 
I used:
Acrylic Paint 
Martha Stewart Crackle Paint
Modge Podge 
Old book pages
Recycled Scrabble Tiles
E6000
Tim Holtz Distress ink in Vintage Photo

My quest for homemade gifts has brought me to a easily customized item: the photo frame.  I began with some basic plastic frames from Target. This particular frame is for my best guy friend and I therefore wanted to make it with plenty of earth tones (plus he is an avid reader) which helped me with decorating to fit his personality. Always more fun that way isn't it?

Step 1: Prep the frame with an acrylic paint, I chose a dark chocolate brown. 
Step 2: Apply Martha Stewart Crackle Paint (found at craft stores such as Michaels) 
Step 3: Paint a layer of your top coat using a sponge or soft brush, try to do this with very few brush strokes. It will make the crackle appear much nicer. 






Step 4: Apply embelishments, for his I chose to age vintage book pages with Tim Holtz Distress Ink in Vintage Photo. I crumpled the paper before inking it to show the creases etc. Used Modge podge to adhere. 



I also chose to ink the edges of the frame as well to distress it more. 


Used an industrial glue (E6000) to adhere the scrabble tiles which I had previously inked in the same distress using a foam brush. 


**Note: Dont allow the glue to dry with the frame standing up. After it dried I realized some of the letters had slid down (darn you gravity). Oh well, I always go for the imperfect look ...

Finish off with a lovely picture inside and/or write a nice message on the back of the frame for your friend. It sure beats buying a card and the message will last much longer. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and read each and every comment... thank you!